1/32 Trumpeter MiG-19PM Farmer E

Gallery Article by Klaasjan Schuuring on Dec 17 2018

 

      

After having built lots of western aircraft it felt the time was right to build something from the eastern block of the Cold War. Lots of kits are available and Trumpeter seemed a good choice as a producer. I picked the MiG-19PM with NATO code name Farmer E. Farmer, starting with the letter F indicates it's a fighter. The kit includes two very good representations of the Tumanski RD-9B jet engines and a fair amount of under wing stores. Detail is pretty good and especially the cockpit looks really nice straight out of the box. 

Click on images below to see larger images

I didn't acquire an aftermarket set for this kit. The Eduard set is discontinued. I did use the belts set which was included in the Me262 kit though since no seatbelts were included in this kit. Apart from that, scratch building was limited to a few wires here and there. Unfortunately finding the pictures I needed was hard and I had to make due with less information than I usually would have.

For the metal finish I used Vallejo metal colours this time. My AK stash was all but depleted but I'm happy with the results of the Vallejo aluminium paints. And, as a bonus, it doesn't need an aggressive agent to clean the airbrush afterwards. I used a few tones of aluminium to distinguish between plates and staining around e.g. several moving surfaces. The decals were very good and terribly thin which made them follow the shapes of the surfaces perfectly. Weathering was kept simple with nothing more than a wash. Finally I also added a base plate of which I have included a few pictures to show the process of building it. It's a simple process of cutting out pieces of sandpaper and arranging them on the base plate. I sprayed them with dark gull gray, trying to keep the edges slightly darker. The plate boundaries were painted with black. A few splashes of "tar" were left here and there, including a few circles of where the "construction worker" had put his can of tar on the concrete. One edge received a nice piece of grass over a bit of Vallejo mud. I'm happy with the result. 

Klaasjan Schuuring

Click on images below to see larger images

 

Photos and text by Klaasjan Schuuring