of us get an idea for a project from a period photo, and this is one of those
models. The excellent color photo below inspired my "long nose". The
heroism of the Luftwaffe pilots was not enough to defeat the Allies over the
continent. On May 8, 1945, Wrk. number 500570, "Black 12" of II/JG 6
was surrendered by its pilot to U.S. GIs. at Furth, Germany.
The Fw190D-9 interceptor was considered by many to be the finest piston-engine fighter in Luftwaffe service. Production of the D9 began in August of 1944. It was powered with a liquid-cooled Junkers Jumo 213A 12-cylinder engine with 1,775 hp, boosted to 2,240hp with water-methanol injection. This engine had previously been used exclusively on bombers. Production was constantly threatened by Allied bombing and by the time JG-6 received D-9s in April 1945, the bombing campaign had so restricted fuel supplies that only four aircraft could fly at a time. The D9 had a top speed of 430 mph at 20,200ft with a climb rate of 3,300 fpm and had a range of 480 mi. Armament consisted of two 20mm MG-151/20 cannon in the wings with 250 rounds per gun and two 13mm MG-131 cannon with 475 rounds per gun over the engine. Approximately 600-700 D models of all variants were produced.
Tamiya’s excellent kit was built O-O-B with the following exceptions:
Rare color photo of "Black 12" that inspired this model.
The model was painted with Model Master enamels, RLM 81,82 and 84 on the fuselage and RLM 75 and 77 on the upper wing. The lower fuselage and parts of the wing were natural aluminum and brush painted with red primer. The excellent color illustration and color callouts on P.69 of Squadron’s FW190D Walk Around book provided details for "Black 12’s" paint scheme. Weathering was done with pastels and silver artist pencil. Decals were by Aeromaster sheet #48-637 and the entire model received a final light coat of Testors flat gloss.
H. Davis Gandees
Photos and text © by H. Davis Gandees