Subject: Here is the article I sent you regarding beginners.
From: "Canadian Black Book" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:30:16 -0400

Hi Steve,
Here is the article I sent you regarding beginners. I originally sent it as
a model submission using the one picture template you provide on your site.
I stuck in a picture of a FW190 and titled it "So you want to start
modelling eh?" I thought it would make a funny Tool'n Tip submission.

****************************************************************************
******************************************************
I built an Accurate Miniatures A-36 Apache for a business associate. He was
so impressed; he's been harping on me to help get him started in the
"Hobby". I wrote the following for him but thought others considering this
hobby, should also know the truth.

So you want to build Models eh?

Insidious, creeping, consuming habit. That's right... HABIT. You call it a
hobby if you like, but you're just kidding yourself.

Modeling. Let's face it... there's not a reasonable guy in the world that's
not impressed by a great model. I use to look at them and say "Geez, I wish
I could that." Moreover, I said that for about 43 years of my life.

Then it happened. 

I have always been a WW2 aircraft buff; one of my friends bought me the 1/24
scale Airfix Spitfire for a birthday present. Of course the fact I haven't
built a model since I was about 10 years old, apparently never crossed his
mind. 

So there it sat in my closet for a little more than a year and a half. I
never really wanted to build it because I new I couldn't't do it justice. No
matter how careful I was during the process, I'd be unhappy with the final
product. 

Then while at work, I decided to look up modeling sites (Ya, ya. Like you
haven't used work time to look up stuff on the Internet!). Holy crap!
Thousands of models and modellers! People offering up all kinds of help,
sources and invaluable tips & tricks. But the pictures... wow. Models that
should be classed as, and only referred to as, "Objects D'Art". 

But it was the people. Friendly, smiling people. "Come" they said "Come to
the Dark side" Pulling me into the spinning, dizzying madness of their
"community". So then I start. Buy a little glue, buy a little paint. Start
working. 

That was a little over a year and a half ago.

Today, dozens of models and hundreds, if not thousands of dollars later here
is the result.

40 bottles of paint, 3 kinds of thinners, 5 different types of glue,3 lamps
(one with the magnifier built in), 4 kinds of tape, 3 art knives with 4
different kinds of blades. 2 airbrushes, 1 compressor, 4 kinds finishes -
flat, semi-gloss, gloss and metalizer sealer. 8 grades of sandpaper, several
version of nail files and buffers. Clamps, vices, pencils, markers, enough
small metal tools that you'd think I was doing at home do it yourself
Dentistry. Enough pastel chalk to sketch a wall size mural, 2 mixing trays
(one for paint, one for chalk), about 15 distinctly different paint brushes,
small rubber hoses, wire, 3 different shades of thread, two kinds of
toothpicks - the flat ones and the round ones, pipe cleaners, jars, two
contraptions to hold pieces of models. 3 kinds of putty, Blue Tac,
plastercine, cutting board, scissors, lazy Susan (invaluable for painting by
the way), 5 - ¼ ounce paint cups, a dozen books ranging from "How to
Airbrush" to "Rare Squadron Markings of the Luftwaffen" One room of my house
completely taking over by the "Hobby". The shear look of panic on my face
when I see the kids coming out of the "Hobby" room. Combine this with
yelling at my wife because she actually used all the Future on the floors.
For God sake woman, Future is a tool!
This just scratches the surface. There are dozens of other things.

I used to go to the hobby shop and buy a model I liked. Now it's a
decisioning process almost equal to filing my tax return. What's the cost?
What's the rarity factor? Who makes it? How are the reviews? Quality? Raised
or recessed lines? After market parts? Ya there's the killer, aftermarket
parts. I'll give you an example. I used to be happy painting a seat. Then
the seat HAD to have seatbelts. Then it had to be more detailed...
more...accurate. Then I had to buy the resin aftermarket seats, instrument
panel, side panels, wheel wells, engines, exhausts. The model cost $23.00.
Aftermarket? Another $56.00. And I'm HAPPY to pay it! Now I found an article
on how to scratch build a seat out of brass. Rivets and everything! I
couldn't't be happier that I've changed a job that use to take 5 minutes,
into a job that now takes 5 hours. Ironically after I put the pilot in, you
really can't see the damn seat!

There are probably a dozen other things I can list, but this gives you some
idea of what has happened in my life over the last couple of years.

Now you might think you'll have better self control when it comes to your
"Hobby". But you won't. It might take longer for you to go over the deep end
than it did for me, but, you'll go. Oh yes. And you'll love every minute of
it.

Larry Shred

 ******************************************************** 
 Larry Shred 
 Executive Director
 Corporate Development
 Canadian Black Book 
 7800 Woodbine Ave. 
 Executive Office, Suite 300 
 Markham, Ontario 
 L3R 2N7 
 905-477-0343 ext. 226 
 1-800-562-3150 toll free 
 www.CanadianBlackbook.com 
 ********************************************************

 This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not
waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying
of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended
recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please
advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.