As different parts do not really
fit together well, especially the wingroots and the connection between
the fuselage main section and the tail section, I had to take some time to fill
gaps and to sand bits and pieces in order to get an acceptable appearance.
Furthermore, I reconstructed or detailed the elevator and rudder
counterbalances, the flaps and the flaphousings, the airbrakes, the landinglight,
the guns and the landinggear. I changed the "sit" of the aircraft by
adjusting the length of the landinggear. To add some dynamism to the diorama, I
opened a hatch on the left side of the fuselage and I constructed 2 toolboxes
and a wheelblock for the front wheel.
For the cockpit and the wheels, I used the superb sets from Cutting Edge. I only
had to add some knobs and handles left and right.
Last but not least, I reformed the windshield and the canopy with their framings
by vacuforming the new parts.
images below to see larger images
Painting was based on the Cutting
Edge "MIG - 15 bis Fagot" decals set.
As I like well worn aircraft (note the replacement windshield, canopy and wind
leading edge/tip), I sprayed an overall coat of Aluminum followed by several
coats of matt + semi gloss varnish. After painting the different colours, I
sprayed the necessary coats of varnish to apply and to seal the decals.
I weathered the aircraft with a very diluted wash and different tones of pastel
Chipping off the paint was carried out with lots of patience and care, but with
the protective coats of
varnish, the underlaying Aluminum paint was not damaged.
For the paintwork I used Testors - Model Master paints and the varnish was from